Gond Katira, or Tragacanth gum is a white, dull looking, small stone like structure which has cooling properties. It reduces body heat, helpful in nose bleeding, heat strokes and constipation.
Gum is odourless and tasteless and is obtained from a spiny shrub. It grows in a solid white crystalline form and becomes softer and gooey on being dissolved in water.
Gond Katira Nutritional Value
The nutritional value of 100 g of Gond Katira is as follows:
- Calories in Gond Katira – 70 kcal
- Carbohydrates – 35g
- Fibre – 30g
- Hydrates – 5g
- Fats – 0g
- Sodium – 9g
Amazing Gond Katira benefits for health
- Gond Katira has anti-ageing and anti-inflammatory properties. It is beneficial for pimples. It also helps get rid of acne breakouts, skin pigmentation, and burns.
- Gond Katira benefits your bone health due to its rich calcium and magnesium content. It helps you regain your strength. It also lubricates your joints and helps develop strong bones.
- The benefits of Gond Katira for gut health and digestion include laxative effects that help in preventing constipation.
- Women tend to feel more tired and at a loss of energy post-pregnancy. Gond Katira benefits postpartum women by helping them regain their strength.
- Gond Katira also helps increase milk production in lactating mothers. It is rich in calcium and protein, essential for new mothers. It allows new moms to handle themselves while caring for their babies. It also regulates blood flow and is beneficial to both mother and child.
- It is useful in controlling nose bleeding in summers caused by extreme heat.
Difference between gond and gond katira
People often get confused between the two. Gond dissolves in water and is used in winters especially by frying and adding to the mithayi and panjiri. It has a warming nature.
Gond katira, on the other hand, absorbs water, swells up and takes the appearance of crushed ice like material. Gond Katira has cooling properties.
Gond Katira Recipes
Gond Katira Pudding: To 100 gms of Greek yogurt add 1 tblsp gond katira and few cubes of mango. Mix well and top it with more mango cubes. Sprinkle a few chia seeds and chopped pistachios. Enjoy the quick pudding. It can be your mid- morning snack as well during summers.
Mid-morning drink- Add 1 tsp of gond katira crystals to a bowl of water. Wait for 2-3 hours, it will swell up. Now, use 1 tblsp of gond katira, 1 tblsp overnight soaked chia or basil seeds, 1 tsp gulkand and cold water to make the drink.
Gond Katira Jal Jeera: In a mortar, add a few mint leaves, 1 tblsp jaggery, ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp roasted cumin powder, salt according to taste, 1 lemon juice. Muddle it well. To a glass add 1 tblsp gond katira, 1 tblsp of the mixture prepared and cold water. Enjoy this drink on a hot summer day.
Hope you liked the information that I shared with you. Stay fit and eat right.