Almonds always secure the first position in the minds of people whenever it comes to healthy eating. A vast knowledge has been already acquired regarding the health benefits of almonds. In today’s blog, we will surf through various ways to consume them and some delicious recipes prepared with almonds as the main ingredient.
4 Health Benefits of Almonds
- Nutrient Rich: Almonds are a rich source of various macro and micronutrients. Due to the presence of Vitamin E in good amounts in almonds, these have anti-ageing properties. Almonds are also a good source of magnesium, fibre and monounsaturated fatty acids.
- Heart Health Benefits: Almonds have been linked to heart health due to their ability to reduce LDL cholesterol levels. They are also known to promote healthy blood pressure levels, because of their magnesium content.
- Weight Management: Almonds can be a valuable ally in your weight management programs‘ journey. The combination of protein, fiber, and healthy fats helps you feel full, making them an excellent snack choice that can prevent overeating.
- Skin and Hair Health: The high vitamin E content in almonds contributes to glowing skin and lustrous hair. This antioxidant vitamin helps combat free radicals and can slow down the ageing process.
How to consume almonds?
Almonds are a nutritious and versatile nut that can be enjoyed in various ways. Here are some common ways to consume almonds:
Why Peeled Skin of Soaked Almonds Before Eating?
Eating a handful of soaked almonds is the simplest and most nutritious way to enjoy them. They make for a quick, convenient snack that you can take anywhere. You can have them on an empty stomach. The best way to consume almonds is to soak them and peel them.
Almond skin contains anti-nutrients (tannins and phytates) that block the absorption of iron and zinc respectively. Soaking almonds also helps in better absorption and digestion of their nutrients.
Almond butter is a delicious and versatile spread that can be used on toast, in sandwiches, or as a dip for fruits and vegetables. Making almond butter at home is a breeze.
Homemade Almond Butter Recipe
- Raw Almonds – 2 cups
- A pinch of salt (optional)
- Sweeteners (optional), such as honey or maple syrup
How to make almond butter at home?
- Dry Roast the almonds for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- When slightly warm, then transfer them to a blender.
- Blend the almonds continuously, pausing occasionally to scrape down the sides.
- Add salt and sweetener, if desired, and continue blending until the mixture turns smooth and creamy.
- Transfer your homemade almond butter to a clean jar and store it in the refrigerator.
Almond milk is a popular dairy-free alternative to cow’s milk. Making almond milk at home is a breeze. Here’s a simple recipe:
Homemade Almond Milk Recipe
- Raw Almonds, soaked overnight – 1 c
- Water – 4 cups
- Sweeteners (optional), such as honey, maple syrup, or dates
- Vanilla extract (optional)
How to Make Almond Milk at Home
- Drain the water and rinse the soaked almonds.
- Next, Blend almonds and water until smooth.
- Strain the mixture through a muslin cloth.
- Add sweetener of choice and vanilla drops if desired.
- Almond Milk is ready, store it in refrigerator and consume within 3-4 days.
4 Recipes using Almond Milk
Now that you have almond milk, let’s explore some tasty recipes:
- Almond Pancakes: Substitute almond milk for regular milk in your pancake recipe. The nutty flavor adds a delightful twist to this breakfast classic.
- Almond Smoothie: Blend almond milk, frozen fruits, a scoop of almond butter, and a touch of honey for a creamy and nutritious smoothie.
- Almond Kissed Coffee: Add a splash of almond milk to your morning coffee for a subtly sweet, dairy-free alternative.
- Almond Granola: Make your own granola using almonds, oats, honey, and your favorite dried fruits. Bake until golden brown for a crunchy, satisfying snack.
Homemade Almond Barfi Recipe
Badam ki Barfi is a quick, easy and traditional Indian sweet made from almonds during festivals. Here’s how you can prepare it at home:
- Almonds – 500 g
- Jaggery – 1 c
- Ghee (clarified butter) – 2 Tbsp
- Milk Powder- 3/4th c
- Cardamom powder – 1 Tbsp
- Water – ½ c
How to make Badam Barfi at home
- Dry roast almonds and keep aside, cool and blend
- To a pan, add ghee, jaggery and water. Mix well till the water boils.
- Now add almond flour.
- Mix well till the whole material binds together.
- Take a piece of butter paper and spread it on the kitchen shelf.
- Spread the almond barfi material on the butter paper and place another one on top.
- Take a rolling pin and flatten the material.
- Cut it into the preferred shape and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are almonds good for your health?
Yes, almonds are considered a healthy food. They are a good source of healthy fats, protein, fiber, vitamins (especially vitamin E), and minerals (such as magnesium). They are also known to promote heart health and may help with weight management.
How many calories are in almonds?
A one-ounce (28 grams) serving of almonds contains approximately 160-170 calories.
Are almonds a good source of protein?
Yes, almonds are a relatively good source of plant-based protein. About 6 grams of protein can be found in a one-ounce serving.
Are almonds suitable for people with nut allergies?
Almonds are a tree nut, so they can trigger allergies in some individuals. It’s important for people with nut allergies to consult with a healthcare professional before including almonds in their diet.
Can almonds help with weight loss?
Almonds are nutrient-dense and can be a part of a healthy weight loss plan. Their combination of protein, fiber, and healthy fats can help you feel full and satisfied, which may prevent overeating.
What are the different forms of almonds available?
Almonds are available in various forms, including whole almonds, almond slices, almond flour, almond butter, and almond milk.
Do almonds have any potential health benefits?
Almonds have been associated with various health benefits, including improved heart health, reduced risk of diabetes, and enhanced skin health due to their high content of vitamin E and antioxidants.
How should I store almonds to keep them fresh?
To keep almonds fresh, store them in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. For longer shelf life, you can also store them in the refrigerator or freezer.
Are there any potential side effects of consuming almonds?
While almonds are generally safe to eat, consuming them in excess can lead to weight gain due to their calorie content. Some people may also experience digestive discomfort if they eat too many almonds at once.
Can almonds be included in a gluten-free diet?
Yes, almonds are naturally gluten-free and can be safely consumed by individuals with gluten intolerance or celiac disease.
What is almond milk, and is it a suitable dairy milk alternative?
Almond milk is a plant-based milk made from almonds and water. It is a popular dairy milk alternative for those who are lactose intolerant or prefer a vegan diet.
Do almonds have any culinary uses?
Almonds can be used in various culinary applications. They are commonly used in baking, added to salads, turned into almond butter, and used to make almond milk. They can also be enjoyed as a snack on their own.
Almonds are a nutritional powerhouse that can be incorporated into your diet in various creative and healthy ways. Whether you’re snacking on them raw, enjoying almond milk in your coffee, or indulging in almond-based desserts like Badam ki Barfi, these versatile nuts offer a world of flavor and nutrition. So go ahead and make almonds a delicious and nutritious part of your daily routine!